Sunday 20 October 2024

Medica Superspecialty Hospital hosts Bijoya: 'Brave and Beautiful' meet to celebrate Breast Cancer Survivors


21st  October’24, Kolkata: To commemorate the Breast Cancer Month, Medica Superspecialty Hospital celebrated the strength of women who have triumphed over breast cancer or are courageously battling the disease through a 'Breast Cancer Champions Meet.' During the gathering, Dr. Pooja Agarwal, Consultant of Surgical Oncology (Breast Surgery) at Medica Superspecialty Hospital, shared valuable information on identifying early symptoms and knowing when to seek medical attention. She also emphasized the importance of support from family members and society to the patient, who are fighting the disease in alignment with this year's theme by the World Health Organization - "No one should face breast cancer alone." Ms. Arunima Datta, Psycho-oncologist at Medica Superspecialty Hospital, gracefully moderated the event. About 25 patients and survivors joined in to celebrate their inspiring journeys.

Breast cancer accounts for around 25% to 32% of all cancers in Indian women. The month of October has been chosen as Breast Cancer Month, which is an annual event to raise awareness for this disease. Throughout this month, people, business houses, and communities come together to show solidarity with these thousands of people who are suffering from breast cancer.     

During the meet, Dr. Pooja Agarwal, shared, “Treatment for breast cancer requires integrating medical expertise with a commitment to self-care. Therefore, we strive for personalized care and an accurate diagnosis, staging, and treatment plan. Every single step, be it surgery or therapy is coordinated by a multidisciplinary team designed to bring out the best results. Equal importance lies in patient participation, self-care, proper nutrition and emotional support to pave the way for a better life. In this journey, the support of family members and friends are also crucial as their support gives the patients the mental strength to fight the disease. It is quite alarming that among the breast cancer patients, 61% presents at advanced stages and only a few come to us with early disease in India.  Various cultural factors and low awareness are some of the leading causes behind this trend. Early diagnosis is the key and we suggest that all women above 40 years should have an annual mammogram, and the young ones should do regular self-breast examinations.”

In her welcome address, Ms. Arunima Datta, expressed, “We have named the event, Bijoya – celebrating the 'Brave and Beautiful' to appreciate the strength of women as they play so many roles in their lives and often due to this challenging disease, they need to play the role of a patient. The journey is tough, and their inner strength is crucial but the support of those around them is equally essential as a pillar of encouragement. Society often defines a woman’s beauty by her appearance—her hair, her outward features—but true beauty lies in her mental resilience and the courage with which she faces life’s hardships. The fight against cancer is a difficult one, and it is important for patients to prioritize their mental well-being alongside their physical health. We are glad to see that more patients and their families now recognize the value of counseling and emotional support, and we hope mental health continues to be given the same priority as physical recovery.”

In the meeting, Aruna Basak, an 86-year-old, shared her journey and said, “Early this year, when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I thought, that was the end of my life. I came to Medica with a breast lump and after a few tests, received the diagnosis of breast cancer, as my son stays out of India, I was more scared, but the team here and Dr. Pooja Agarwal assured me that I would be fine and I underwent the surgery, by the grace of God, I didn't need any aggressive treatment after my surgery and keeping quite well. I am currently doing my regular follow-ups with Dr. Agarwal and recently, celebrated the Durga Puja with the family. I just want to say that with the right support system and proper treatment, this journey all though a difficult one, can be overcome.  Post recovery, I realized that it is just a new beginning.”

Gauri Bhattacharya, a 76-year-old, shared, "This year, I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I was mentally strong as I knew that I needed to fight, and my husband was my biggest strength. All though I was scared because of my age but at Medica, my treatment was smooth. I am grateful to the team for giving me the best care. At present, I am on my hormonal therapy, and I am back to my regular life."   

Dr.  Ayanabh Debgupta, Regional Chief Operating Officer, Manipal Hospitals East, shared, “Breast cancer happens to be the most common cancer in the world, with 2.3 million new cases every year, while fortunately the survival rate is also very high. To successfully overcome the disease, we need to create awareness among people and emphasize on the importance of early detection. I am glad, that today, so many survivors shared their successful recovery journeys which highlights the dedication of our oncology team, and I wish all of them a healthy life ahead.”

Attaching the press release (English, Bengali and Hindi) with picture for your reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment