Friday 24 December 2021

Jatin Sarna’s near-death experience while practicing for 83

If you think only a daredevil action stunt can put an actor’s life at risk, ask Jatin Sarna, who plays Yashpal Sharma in Kabir Khan’s upcoming cricket film, 83. During one of the practice sessions in Himachal Pradesh for the Ranveer Singh starrer based on India’s 1983 World Cup Win, Jatin had a near death experience at the nets.

“Our coach Balwinder Singh Sandhu, also a former cricketer and part of Team India during the 1983 World Cup, used to call me an ‘Ayyaash Batsman’, meaning that I didn’t care too much for or follow any technique, as I was more focused on hitting the ball aggressively. And perhaps, because of that, I also got hurt many times,” says Jain, who was earlier seen as Bunty in Sacred Games. 

Recalling his near death accident during a training session, he recalls, “While we were practicing in Himachal Pradesh, one day I made a mistake of not wearing an abdomen guard. The bowler was bowling quite fast and I once tried to hit a hook shot like Yashpal Sharma sir. It was a full toss ball that I wanted to hook for a four or a six, but I missed it and got hit on my testicles really hard and badly too. I fell down to the round and for 20 odd seconds I was out. Everyone around was like ‘yeh toh gaya’. Somehow, they managed to revive me and I also collected myself up. I had some water and when I felt better, the bowler, a Himachal guy, was so scared that he was apologising to me. I told him, ‘Don’t worry, I’m alive’. Poor guy was so scared that he’d probably killed me with his fast bowling.” 

While that was the severest blow, Jatin got hurt several times, but never showed, lest Kabir, Sandhu rests him out. “I’d never leave the nets or the bat. Maybe I was venting out all the anger of not playing cricket all my time until I signed up for 83,” he smiles. 

Even during London, whenever they’d get time off between shots, the actor would bat to his heart’s content. One, he got the actor playing West Indian pacer Michael Holding to bowl to him like he does in real life. “He’d smile and say, ‘No, bro,” but I’d insist that he show me no mercy and bowl like he does in a real game,” Jatin says, adding, “Once I missed a very fast delivery and got hit on the thigh. Siri main aur meraBhagwan jaanta hai ki maine kaise munh bandh karkesab chela.” Jatin’s real big moment came when he hit former West Indian pacer Malcom Marshall’s son Mali Marshall across the boundary. “Mali Marshall is playing the late Malcom Marshall in the film. During a practice with him, I hit a hook shot, which I missed in Himachal, across the boundary and that moment I felt like ‘Maine isko pel diyamera cricket ho gaya’,” Jatin beams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment