Wednesday 13 November 2019

Diabetes Mellitus: Protect Your Family


Kolkata, November: Dr. Sk Hammadur Rahaman, MBBS, MD (BHU, Gold Medalist), DM (Endocrinology, AIIMS New Delhi), Consultant Endocrinologist, Medica Superspecialty Hospital
Diabetes mellitus is a chronic metabolic disease characterised by high blood sugar. It is a silent killer.
According to WHO 2016, the number of people suffering from diabetes mellitus worldwide is 422 million. According to IDF (International Diabetes Federation), almost 70 million people in India are living with diabetes mellitus. The unfortunate fact is that this number is just like the tip of an iceberg. A vast majority of patients suffering from diabetes mellitus are unaware of this devastating disease.
It results from two basic defects in the body:
1. Insulin resistance;
2. Insulin deficiency.
The latter is the main reason for type 1 diabetes mellitus whereas in type 2 diabetes mellitus insulin resistance is the predominant cause.

Diabetes is a multifactorial disease. The important risk factors are:
·       Obesity
·       High blood pressure
·       Cholesterol problems
·       Polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD)
·       Gestational diabetes mellitus etc.
·       Those who suffered a heart attack or brain stroke are also at a risk.
Recently we see there is an upsurge of people with diabetes. The first and foremost reason for it is to look for a change in our lifestyle. Nowadays, people live with a lot of stress. There is a tendency to have fast food which contains much amount of salt and oil. That increases obesity, cholesterol and blood pressure. Simultaneously, we take less amount of green vegetables and fruits. On top of this, we rarely do exercise.
Diabetes runs in the family in two ways.
1. Vertical transmission: By genetic risk, it runs from parents to offspring.
2. Horizontal transmission: in the same family, there are similar food habit and the tendency of physical inactivity among different members which ultimately leads to obesity and later on diabetes mellitus.

Diabetes is notorious for heart attack, heart failure, brain stroke, kidney dysfunction, loss of vision, numb feet, foot ulcer, limb loss etc.
The way to tackle diabetes mellitus is an early diagnosis, proper diet, regular physical exercise, appropriate medication, and regular monitoring.   

3 comments:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Cynthia Corvin. I live in USA and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 2 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of usd$250,000.00 . Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Cynthia that refer you to him. contact Mr. Ferooz Mohammed ,via email:(feroozsuptoo@outlook.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250, 000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250, 000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Whats App +91-8929509036 Thank you.

    ReplyDelete