Out of 94% respondents who are aware about the nCOVID-19, 75% are extremely concerned about the disease, and only 52% are aware of the virus type spreading from the Corona viruses’ group
Bengaluru, 31st March, 2020: Velocity MR, a leading market research and analysis company, recently conducted a pan India study to understand the sentiments towards nCOVID-19 outbreak. The national survey was conducted in prominent cities including Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Kolkata, Chennai, Hyderabad, Pune, Lucknow, Ahmedabad and Jaipur.
The study reveals that nCOVID-19 is leading the list of extremely concerned diseases followed by Cancer and HIV/Aids. This concern has been rising due to increase in the number of cases affected by Coronavirus. 70% respondents feel older people and also people with pre-existing conditions are more vulnerable to be infected by the virus. However, 63% feel that this can be tackled with if proper hygiene and necessary precautions are taken. The sample size of the study was 2100 and the data was collected between March 19 and 20. The study was conducted through an online survey among the consumer panel of Markelytics (Velocity MR is the full-service arm of Markelytics) and the company boasts of having one of the largest consumer panels for India.
The study also highlights that many could not make changes in their day-to-day activities even if they wanted to. 58% mentioned that they could not buy groceries and daily essentials during non-peak hours. 46% could not avoid travelling for work related purposes and 25% were not given the provision to work from home by their organisations.
Jasal Shah, Managing Director & CEO, Velocity MR, adds, “What is heartening to see is that the majority is working towards combatting this novel virus. Our survey shows that as a precautionary measure 81% have started washing their hands more frequently than before, 78% have started avoiding crowded places as and when possible. Another important highlight of the study is that this change in lifestyle is most likely to stay, as 72% feel that they will be more cautious and responsible while travelling abroad in future.”
Highlights of the Study
- Out of the 94% of respondents who are aware about the nCOVID-19, 75% of the respondents are extremely concerned about the disease.
- While awareness among the respondents about the government’s preventive measures are high, around 87% of the respondents rate the work of the Indian government against nCOVID-19 to be effective.
- The respondents rely on Television, Social Media, Online Websites and Newspaper (in that order) to get information about nCOVID-19 and feel are the credible sources of information.
- After the outbreak of nCOVID-19, the major changes were Personal Hygiene (Washing Hands more Frequently) and Social Distancing in people’s day-to-activities.
- The changes in their day-to-activities which people were unable to make were going for Grocery Shopping during Peak hours and avoiding Public transport.
- In a bid to prevent the spread of the nCOVID-19 any further, organizations have taken various steps and made provisions for the employees to avoid travelling and Work From Home (WFH).
- Organizations have asked the employees who had travelled abroad to WFH and have started disinfecting the workplace every day at the end of the day.
- The general opinion among the respondents is that the Travel and Tourism Sector has been hit the most with 51% of the respondents having to cancel their trips in the last 1 month due to nCOVID-19.
- 82% of the respondents agree with the idea that thermal scanners are effective in detecting fever due to ncovid-19 as a lot of false information has been circulating around in social media (which the respondents feel is a credible source of information and rely on it for getting information regarding ncovid-19).
- With the changes being enforced on the respondents’ day-to-day activities, the respondents feel that some of the changes in habits due to nCOVID-19 will prevail even after nCOVID-19 is cured.
- 71% of the respondents feel that habits like Social Greetings (handshakes, hugging, etc.) will be avoided for some time even after nCOVID-19 is cured. Also, people will be more cautious while travelling abroad henceforth.
- 84% of the respondents are optimistic that the world will recover from nCOVID-19 in the next 6 months to 1 year time period.
- 75% of the respondents are extremely concerned by novel Coronavirus(nCOVID-19).
- 94% people are very well aware about corona virus with 52% respondents aware of which type of virus is spreading from the Corona viruses’ group.
- Shutting down schools and universities, banning public gatherings and quarantine affected people are the top 3 preventive measures that the respondents are aware of very highly.
- Respondents trust TV and Newspaper for information during this virus outbreak.
- The popular opinion among the respondents is that older people/people with pre-existing conditions are vulnerable and more likely to get nCOVID-19 with 70% of the respondents stating the above.
- 81% of the respondents mentioned that they have started washing hands more frequently than before.
- 58% of the respondents mentioned that they could not buy the groceries and daily essentials during less crowded time/non-peak hours.
- 72% of the respondents had been asked to Work from Home by their respective Organizations.
- 92% of the respondents think that the Business has been severely impacted by the nCOVID-19.
- 57% respondents think that there are more than 15 countries around the world that facing high level of challenge fighting nCOVID-19.
About Velocity MR
Velocity is a tech-savvy insights provider with a Global Presence, providing Proprietary Panels, Real web-based CATI, a Strong Field Force, Responsive Client Servicing capabilities and is armed with sophisticated Research Capabilities. Velocity is today one of the youngest and highly tech-oriented research companies globally. In a world where unstructured data is flowing in all directions, understanding distinctive consumer behavior towards brands is getting tougher and tougher. The company while being part of Cross Marketing Inc. Tokyo has some of the finest brains in the industry along with the best available technology platforms to deliver world-class research solutions to clients. The integration of technology coupled with high-quality data imparts speed, hence providing a ‘Quick turnaround time’ in collating, analyzing and interpreting research data.